Thursday, November 10, 2011

Glazed Acorn Squash


I have never bought an acorn squash before though I always notice them in the grocery store.  Actually I used to think they were puuuurely for decorating and not eating.  But now that I enjoy cooking, frequent the farmer's market, and read recipes for fun, I understand that they can be delicious!  One of the things I enjoy most about writing Cheese Please is not only documenting my growing cooking skills, but also pushing myself to experiment with new things.  It is sooo easy to get stuck preparing the same familiar 2-3 vegetables.

I am extremely happy with this elegant and delicious fall veggie.  I just adore the scalloped edges of an acorn squash when sliced.  This recipe is also very simple to make, I have a feeling I will make this over and over again.  Roasting the acorn squash slices in brown sugar gives them a pretty glaze and enhances a delicious sweetness to the dish that is just enough.  It is also a tad bit healthier than using gobs of butter.  Though I wanted something simple, this recipe could be easily expanded by adding additional spices such as a pinch of cayenne, cinnamon, nutmeg or rosemary.  Or how I may roast them next time, with parmesan, similar to my zucchini crisps


Ingredients
Serves 2

1 acorn squash, halved, seeded and cut into 1/2" crescent slices
Vegetable oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2-3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar

Method

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and evenly brush with vegetable oil.  Spread squash pieces on the baking sheet and top with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle each piece with about 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.  Bake for 5 minutes and then flip.  Salt, pepper and sprinkle the remaining brown sugar on the squash pieces.  Bake for an additional 20 minutes until roasted.  Enjoy!



Follow me on Twitter @CheesePlease531

No comments:

Post a Comment