Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Coriander Scallops with Orange Ginger Dressing


Did you know that coriander seeds come from a cilantro plant?  Who knew!  I certainty didn't. One of the things that I enjoy the most about cooking is trying new recipes and exploring new flavors.  Coriander being my latest adventure. 

While figuring out what to make for my husband and myself as a special dinner last weekend, I got really, really excited when I stumbled on this recipe that used coriander seeds.  Recently when I was wiping things down in the kitchen, and I noticed that we have never touched some of the spices that came with the spice rack we received as wedding gift.  One of these mystery spices was whole coriander seeds.  They smelled delicious, but I had no idea how of what to use them with.


Turns out coriander is the dried seed of a cilantro plant.  The seeds are round like tiny balls.  They can be used whole or ground up as a flavoring for food and as a seasoning. The flavors of coriander, orange and ginger really compliment the sweet scallops in this tasty dinner salad.


Ingredients
Serves 4

1 lb sea scallops, remove side muscles if need be
8 cups mixed field greens
1 naval orange, peel and pith removed, cut into segments between membranes
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped
2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate

Method

Whisk juice concentrate, vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, ginger, and cilantro in small bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper.

In a resealable bag with a kitchen mallet, coarsely crush the coriander seeds.  Set crushed seeds on a plate.  Pat the scallops dry with a paper towel.  Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper, then press both sides in coriander to coat. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet (I used my trusty cast iron skillet) over medium-high heat. Add scallops and cook until golden brown and just opaque in center, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side.

Divide the greens, orange, and scallops among 4 plates. Drizzle dressing over.  Bon Appétit!!



Follow me on Twitter @CheesePlease531

No comments:

Post a Comment